2003 200 HPDI Exhaust Path

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 200 HPDI Exhaust Path

I just bougth a Contender that has a pair of 2003 HPDI's on it. Motors seem to run well although I believe I need to replace the fuel filters. That said,, at idle at the dock The port motor seem to expell the exhaust via the hub where the other motor does not.

Can someone give me a quick explanation of the 2003 200 HDPI exhaust system?

Thanks!
    Fred

If have no exhaust coming out prop then need to remove gearcase and inspect muffler in mid housing for damage.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. I suspect those mufflers would be tough to change. I'll be doing the waterpumps very soon so I'll inspect them.

Let me add some more information. At idle at the dock the port motors exhaust bubbles out of the hub where the starboard motor does not. It seem to come out of the back of the midsection on the starboard side. Once moving at idle the port motor has lots of air in the prop wash but not the starboard. Once I give it a little more throtle the prop wash evens out between the motors with what appears to be exhaust in both.

Is it normal for exhaust to exit out anywhere other than the hub?

Comment

exhaust idle relief ports on the back of motor help relieve the back pressure while idling

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          exhaust idle relief ports on the back of motor help relieve the back pressure while idling
          Thanks,,, are these opend/closed based on motor speed where maybe the port side is having an issue?

Comment

should be open all the time, but when RPM and exhaust flow increases it heads out the hub

Comment

Working...
            X