rpm problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rpm problems

I have a 2005 150hpdi with 10 hours on it. It will not hold any rpm between 2000 and 3000. If you try to throdle down from 3000 to day 2700 to achieve a fast plow speed it slowly drops the rpm down to 2000 which is a fast idle. It is on 18.8 whaler which is a light boat and I am running a 17 pitch prop and can turn 5700 at wot. could too little pitch cause this problem

once the hull drops off plane engine load increases dramatically.
    why would you want a fast plow speed thats terribly hard on the engine?

Comment

If the water is rough or I am in following seas I need to slow down but not to idle speed. I can not do this , either the boat planes at 25mph or so or idles. I will spend more time in the air than the water at 25mph in 4' seas THis motor was new old stock and had 7 year old fuel in the system probably from the test run at the factory. Fuel pumps have been changed under warranty. Running at 3000 rpm even the slightest bump down in the throttle results in a 1000 rpm drop. Is there anything else in the fuel system that could contribute to this problem. The dealer says I need to increase the prop pitch from 17 to 21, it just doesnt make sence that that would allow the engine to run between 2000 and 3000 rpm. is it possible that too little prop pitch won't allow an engine to reach and maintain 2600 rpm and that increasing prop pitch will solve the problem?
      Last edited by bobtootles; 05-13-2012, 11:51 AM.

Comment

You need the 21 pitch prop from the sound of it anyway...... so throw one on and you will have an answer. Then you can move on to addressing any remaining issues if any. That's what I would do if I were in your shoes.......

Comment

max RPM on that engine is 5500, your prop is close.
          a 21 pitch may lower the wot rpm to much.
          sounds like a good link and sync then monitor high pressure fuel and TPS voltages at the problem range.

Comment

Working...
          X