Yamaha 130TXRS max 3000 RPM when in gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 130TXRS max 3000 RPM when in gear

New to the forum. Just purchased a 1994 Pursuit 1950 CC with a 130TXRS on it. Had it out for our maiden voyage last weekend and the engine ran flawlessly for a couple of hours, including extended high power operation on our way back to the slip.

I was taking the boat out this evening for a run and when I applied full throttle, I could only get about 3000-3200 RPM. I stopped, put it in reverse and did a burst of power and it went to ~4500 RPM. I than disengaged the drive and applied progressive forward throttle and the RPM went easily to 4000. I did a quick burst of more throttle and it went to 5000.

I was running out of daylight, so I'm going out in the morning to pull the spark plugs to check for fouling. The only thing I can think it might be is an electrical issue (fouled plug, bad wire) when under load, since it will go to high RPM with the gearbox disengaged, but only ~3000 RPM when it is engaged. The motor doesn't have an apparent misfire, although I'm new to outboards and am not sure how detectable it is on motors like this.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Terry

give up on electrical and plugs.
    test compression the clean the carbs,replace the fuel pump and check all fuel lines and the tank.
    then have a beer and enjoy boat riding.

Comment

Resolved my low RPM problem. I pulled the engine cover to do a compression check and noticed the ignition wire for the top cylinder on the starboard side was dangling. Plugged it back into the coil and did a test run. Everything operated normally. Put about 5 hours on it today with no further issues.

Thanks.

Comment

never seen one fall off,
        someone must have pulled it and never put it back on.

Comment

Working...
        X