Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Cable suggestions

Hey all...

I have a 2350 Bluewater rigged w/twin 150 OX66's. My batteries / battery switches are currently installed under my transom live well and my fresh & Salt water pumps in my console. I know...mixing water and electricity in both areas...no bueno!

For the last 8 years I've been putting bandaids on areas, replacing pumps, busbars, and harnesses. In 2010 I re-wired my entire boat because of the problems connected to electric / water mix in both my console and transom. Problem is, I tried using standard cables but because of the specific size and bends in the yamaha cable terminal ends the standards never fit right, if they fit at all. So I was stuck placing the batteries back in the transom. Well...I'm starting the see the problems again and honestly with the amount of money I have spent, I'm over it. So I'm trying to accomplish what I should have done 2 years ago by moving my batteries from the transom to my console and my pumps to the transom.

Heres my problem, since 2010 I've researched this and been told by all the Yamaha dealers that Yamaha doesnt sell a battery cable over 8'-7" and upon my asking they advised that no one sells the motor terminal ends for me to even make my own cable. I know there is a way, since other boat builders place the batteries in the console. I just havent found it yet.

My shift and throttle cables are 21', and have some give so my guess would be the same length for the battery cables.

Any assistance you all could provide would be great. I'm posting because I'm sure the answer is stupidproof and I'm just missing the answer since I've been focused on one aspect of the problem. Thanks

Steve

The length that you are running your cables would require quite thick guage cables. Have you looked at Mouser Electronics yet? Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor They have an excellent selection.

Comment

I've read on here that some folks have used Welding Cables(like for electric welding), very heavy-duty insulated copper...might be an idea for you?

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll have to research moesers.im still perplexed as Contender, Grady, Hydrasports and others all run their batteries to their center consoles. As well as there switches...so I'm wondering how they do it. Guess I have to go to the manufacturer...

Comment

look in the yamaha tuneup spec guide or the marine tech guide of about 2008 and there is a cgart showing wire sizevs wire run and max length.
          you can also use buss terminals in the transom to conect the engine cables to the battery cables.

Comment

Thought about the buss bar...just wasnt sure buss bars could hold that much current on a constant basis.

Thanks for the insight. I'm gonna look into this

Comment

depends on size and metal bus bar is made of, but copper bus carries well

Comment

Working...
              X