Bad Gauges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Gauges?

I have a 2003 Yamaha 115 2 stroke on a 19' Pathfinder and it ran great a month ago...I went to take it out cobia fishing 2 weeks ago and it fired off perfectly and idled great! I got out of the boat ramp and out of the no wake zone and throttled don to go, and she wouldn't do it. At first I thought I fouled a plug or two, but that didn't make sense...because she ran and idled fine still. Anyhow, I got home and changed the plugs just for piece of mind etc. and still had the same problem. I know the gas is good and fresh, as I run ethanol free and I run my boat year round.

I looked at the ignition switch being an issue because when turned all the way over, the engine cranks but stops unless you back the key off a little then it fires fine. While doing this, the gauges flash and then go blank (I have the Yam multifunction gauges). Anyhow, after much frustration and chasing potential issues I took my boat to the shop. They called me today and told me my engine was in default because my gauges are bad...they want 2k to fix and replace them. Thats way too high for my taste and I think it's b.s. Can this be true? If so, I just as soon have analog gauges if at all possible as I like them better anyhow. Thanks for any answers and insight.

flash and go blank?
    sounds like a bad keyswitch.
    nothing I can think of that a bad gauge could do to that motor as far as running.
    does that shop employ a yamaha master tech?
    check the shop wall for school certificates.
    if you see none,thats your first sign.

Comment

Working...
    X