Frozen steering!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen steering!

I have a 2002 90hp with the steering locked up. It is all the way in the tilt tube, and no matter how much I try to turn it, it won't budge. I would like to free it up without damage or replacing the cable. Any ideas?

Probably have to hammer cable out of tilt tube, clean tilt out and regrease cable.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Can I do that without removing the entire motor?

Comment

Yes , take steering loose from cable end, put a piece of wood against the end and hit with big hammer to see if you can break it loose inside tilt tube.

Usually it is the rust inside the tube that binds up the cable end, you can clean it up with tubing wire brush and drill motor, but is best to replace once it has rusted that bad

Comment

PB Blaster works wonders

If you can't break it loose at first. Try spraying it with a generous amount of PB Blaster and let it soak in for a little while. I had the same issue with my tilt tube on my 90TRLA. took a bit of spraying and working with it, but it eventually broke free.
          I got a boat now "bout time" took me 50 years to do so

Comment

Thanks for the help guys! So just to be clear I should break the cable end loose, spray PB blaster in he tube, wait a few minutes and see if it has broken free. If not hit it with a block of wood and a hammer into the tilt tube. which should break it free. got it.

Comment

Yea Joe, just be patient with it. If it's real corroded it will take some time for the PB to soak in. Just tap some - spray some. Keep working with it. That PB Blaster is good stuff and will penetrate when given time. Also, if you have access to a compressor with a air blower, you can blow it the seam where the tube and cable end are to help push the PB deeper in.

Comment

I might be missing something but shouldn't he first back off the nut that holds the cable into the tilt tube or did someone mention that?

Comment

Ahh - that would be an important step.. 99tam40 posted it in his reply

Comment

Originally posted by joecaps View Post
                    Can I do that without removing the entire motor?
                    Maybe?? or maybe Not??? You must check the clearance where the cable exits the steering tube to the edge of the transom. Many motors need to be lifted temporarily to get out the cable. PB works good as does Transmission fluid. Be patient and yes, If it is old and your taking that effort, replacing the cable would be the proper fix or replace with the Teleflex Baystar Hydraulic Steering for motors under 150HP.

Comment

Have you tried disconnecting steeringarm to see if motor is not seized in swivel tube.Push & pull steering does not normally seize in the tilt tube.If motor moves freely after disconnecting steering arm,check that steering works without motor connected.If it does not replace steering cable.

Comment

Yeah, I disconnected the motor from the steering linkage, it moves just fine. but I cant get the stupid cable free. I am just going to take it in and replace the cable. I have a new tilt/trim motor that I need to put in as well. It will be alot easier to do once the motor is off the boat. Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it very much!!

Comment

Working...
                        X