2001 200hp ox66 knocking noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 200hp ox66 knocking noise?

first issue . main oil tank stopped sending oil to resevoir which ran dry then motor shut down like its supposed to.
    filled resovier and started motor and ran another 5 miles to marina.
    got up to 4700 rpm with more throttle to go but i didnt push it.
    seems there is a knocking sound coming from port side of the motor.
    any ideas?

knocking

did the lights on the guages let you know that the tank on the engine was low on oil??

or how did you know ?? did you hear the alarm ?

and did the alarm go out when you re-filled the small oil tank??

Over ....

Comment

Originally posted by joseph lamb View Post
      did the lights on the guages let you know that the tank on the engine was low on oil??

or how did you know ?? did you hear the alarm ?

and did the alarm go out when you re-filled the small oil tank??

Over ....
      no lights. the motors rpm when down on its own then i shut it off.

Comment

Run a compression test on it
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

and repair the alarm system if the motor is still worth repairing, knocking is never good

Comment

Before checking gauges and paying a mechanic, my 1st suggestion would be to start where your problem stemmed from...the main oil well. Check to make sure the main oil well pump is still working.

I'm sure you are familiar...but if not, there is a small oil pump thats sits in a molded seat on the backside of the tank. It takes the oil from the main well and sends it to the motor tank. the easiest is to check the wire harness on the oil sensor that will feed into the top of the tank. it should have a blue multi-wire male/female connection. You can physically eyeball it...and usually see right away if the wire harness is bad, a wire is cut, or one of the connections came loose from the harness and then you can even push the manual oil fill toggle switch on the back of your motor. If that doesn't work, then I would move to the oil well pump itself.

To do this, you will have to remove your oil well from the bracket. Once you have the tank off, test the pump with an alternative power source. If its good, I would drain the oil and make sure you dont have some sediment blocking the lines.

IMO, the oil well pumps sit in a bad place and because of that, corrode quickly. The pumps arent cheap (part number: 6E5-81900-01-00) but ...

Hope some of this helps you out.
            Last edited by On Island Time; 05-14-2012, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X