Yamaha 70etlw dies when tilted all the way down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 70etlw dies when tilted all the way down

Hi guys I have a yamaha 2 stroke model 70etlw which i could not find any info as far as the year or manual online. It's been running great for a couple years and now when the motor is tilted all the way down at idle or running it bogs down and dies. If you trim it up 1/4 way from the bottom it idles and runs fine. I'm thinking it could need a carb rebuilt or clean and get a tune up. Any suggestions or ideas as to why this is happening?

apparently it is not a US model and it is before 1984.

Check compression, sounds like it could be too much back pressure on exhaust when all the way down.
    Or float adjustment
    could be water in carbs and when tilted water runs away from jets

Comment

***...I was thinking the motor would be in the early 90s since its an oil injected and not premix. So I called a couple outboard places in MN (Nelson Marine and Hannay) and they quote me around 500$ to do carbs and service...does that sound about right? I have never taken apart, cleaned or worked on carb before and I can't find a manual on this motor too. What is the typical cost on carb rebuild or cleaning?

Also does anybody know of a shop that will do it for a lot cheaper in MN?

Comment

I had the same exact issue recently on my 1993 70. It ended up being a loose needle valve seat in the bottom carb allowing it to flood when tilted down. I would pull them and check to make sure all the floats and valves are in spec.

Comment

Make sure you posted the proper model #

Comment

Yamaha Model

The model is 70ETLW
            Code is 6H3
            Serial Number is 461161

I got this on the motor mount that bolts onto the transom. I'm afraid to take off the carbs myself since I can't find a manual on this motor, so that's why I'm looking to bring it to a shop. I found a couple people in MN who quoted 45$ an hour and usually it'll take 2 hours, so I'll drop it off and have it looked at. Thanks guys anybody know about this model let me know.

Comment

Working...
            X