Idling problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idling problem

I have a yamaha jet engine that has 28 hp output. I have recently had the engine serviced because of an idling problem. The 3 carbs were cleaned and dirt and water were found in the bowls. They were cleaned and blown out along with the jets. The o rings and gaskets looked good and were not replaced. When I first start the engine it runs well for about 1/2 hour then it stalls if I lower the idle speed (to *****). Then I can only run it with the choke wide open. If I shut the engine down for a while (1/2 hour) it runs well again for another 1/2 hour and then the problem starts up again. I am now a frustrated fisherman!

Check the fuel tank vent, remove gas cap when engine start stalling, if engine picks back up tank not venting. Check for fuel restricktions in fuel pickup, lines and filters. I have seen the fuel filter installed upside down and it cause the engine to run like what you are describing.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks. I did remove the gas cap and it didn't help. There is a plastic fuel filter that I have removed and clead out. It would be impossible to install it upside down. Also, I have blown out all of the hoses. None of this helped. I do believe that fuel is be restricted, but I don't know how.

Comment

pickup tube filter? some factory tanks are installed with them, i always remove. if choking helps after warm, them the carbs are still dirty. try to isolate the carb issue with a spray bottle of gas, spraying in each throat and listening for the change, or choking each individually to find the culprit.

3 carbs and 28 HP??? is this a jet ski??

Comment

The engine is a 1987 Yamaha 40G. I am starting to accept that the carbs need to be cleaned again. I will take it to a marina and have it repaired so they can test it on the water to make sure it is adjusted properly. I also forgot to mention, when I am forced to run it with the choke wide open I notice gasoline in the water behind me.

Comment

Working...
          X