Yamaha 90 2 Stroke: Blown Seal Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 90 2 Stroke: Blown Seal Help

Brand new to the forum and to Yamaha ownership. I have had two Johnson's and finally landed a Yamaha. It is an 03' 90 h.p 2 Stroke model, I bought it a week ago and only been on the water once.

Scenario: Went to change my lower unit oil for peace of mind and only 4 ozs of MILKY oil came out.. knew something was wrong. I pumped some gear oil through it to flush.

After filling the unit up from the bottom up, I noticed oil started coming out of the water intake screen and from under the prop...not good.

I pulled the prop, there was about 20 yds of 50# mono line wrapped around the shaft and had what was left of a small rubber seal melted in it.

Im looking at the diagram and trying to figure out which seal or O ring this is and what I might need to replace.

Sorry for the long first post, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thomas

oil from the water intake indicates a bad drive shaft or shift shaft seal.
    the prop shaft seal is toast.
    luckily its a fairly simple unit to reseal.
    you will need a shift shaft seal.shift shaft housing oring,2 drive shaft seals and a housing oring, 2 prop shaft seals and the bearing carrier oring and a SERVICE MANUAL.
    if this is a saltwater engine you will also need some good bullit point drill bits and some oxy/acectylyne.

Comment

This is very helpful, thank you for the prompt response. Im pretty sure all of these parts are listed o the PDF parts diagram on this site.

Can all of this be done from the back, or do I have to drop the lower unit? All of these seem to pull out one after another.

Thanks again!

Comment

On this diagram can you cross reference your terminology with the diagrams? Sorry for the trouble, just wanna get this right. Thank you

Attached Files

Comment

I would recommend the Yamaha service manual, read up on what all needs to be done and what tools are needed before going to far on picking up parts

Comment

Need number 17,18,27(x2),28,29,31,23,58,60(x2) and 11(x2)
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

if this is a saltwater engine yu will need a 62 as well cause your gonna cut the original with aformentioned bullet point drill bits.
              only real special tool needed is a claw nut wrench.

Comment

Thank you all for the prompt Reponses. I think this might be a little more than I am qualified to handle. I might let a mechanic handle this one. Are these major repairs or does it just require some knowledge? Thanks again

Comment

me about 3 hours to dissasemble,clean and reassemble that unit.
                  if your on the outer banks sometimes you can drop it off,whole boat or just the lower.

Comment

Dropped her off at the Dr.s. The fella quoted me about 3 hrs labor for the all the seal work and hes going to swap out the impeller while hes in there. He rattled off all the same seals you all mentioned. Bearings felt fine and metal shavings were very min, so hopefully it hasnt been like this long.

Thank you for the help, hopefully this is not an insight into the future if the previous owner has not maintained it. I guess thats why you require all maintenance records when buying used..

-T

Comment

Working...
                    X