trim ram wiper seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trim ram wiper seals

O.K., so the worry-wart here notices some small cracks in my trim ram wiper seals, no leaks or problems...but are these small cracks in the wipers anything to give me trouble later or should I see about replacing them sooner? Motor is 1999 Yamaha 90C.

At some point it probably will leak.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

So replacing these wiper seals is just to unscrew them with the spanner tool and screw on new caps/wiper seals? Thanks!

Comment

Robert I thought you had a service manual, does it not tell you that?
        To tell the truth I have not looked at it to see, but I am fairly sure that is all you need to do

If the cracks let stuff through to get to seals it could cause seal and scoring problems

Comment

I have a Clymer Manual which is just O.K. for most stuff, but I'm wondering if these little cracks in the lips of the wiper seals are even worth replacing right now, since there's no fluid leaking out?

Comment

Mr. Graham is asking a question instead of answering one?? I would buy the proper tool to remove the caps. Mine are torqued to about 95 lbs. Need a dental pick to get the seals out of the cap. If you're in there you should replace the orings and backup rings on the pistons & flush the oil.
            1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
            1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

If fluid starts leaking out then you have the internal seals leaking not the dust seal. Dust seal is suppose to keep the dust out

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker View Post
                Mr. Graham is asking a question instead of answering one?? I would buy the proper tool to remove the caps. Mine are torqued to about 95 lbs. Need a dental pick to get the seals out of the cap. If you're in there you should replace the orings and backup rings on the pistons & flush the oil.
                Guess Yamaha has that spanner tool and the wiper seals. 95lbs. seems like a lot of torque for just a wiper seal cap?...is that specified? I'm just afraid to open up a can of worms here and create a problem for myself, but guess it needs doing. Thanks guys!

Comment

That's the spec for the SX225's. Yours is probably much lower. The point is, guys will take a punch and hammer and try to remove the caps. Miss and ding the trim rods and they'll leak. The Yamaha tool works perfectly.
                  1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
                  1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Working...
                  X