replacing anodes inside engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing anodes inside engine

There are two zinc anodes in my 1995 60hp that are accessable under two separate covers on the stbd side of the powerhead. I have removed the covers and the inside grommets and can see the anodes. They have a very small square head in the centre of the anode. I am a little hesitant to go any further without knowledge of how to extract them. Are they threaded in? Or?
    the anodes in question are part #17 in this diagram 1995 P60TLHT Yamaha Outboard CYLINDER CRANKCASE Diagram and Parts

If the anodes are still there then they're still functional so no need to replace them. You could try to wire brush any deposits from anodes to possibly expose more metal and improve their sacrificial qualities. Good Luck!

Comment

Yes they are still there, but I need to remove them to clean them. Therein lies my problem. If they just push in, I will drill them out, and use a small slide hammer; if threaded, I will probably use an easy-out. I do know that they go into the block about 2inches, and I could access them through the port side if I remove the related covers. however, I would prefer not to go that route unless absolutely necessary.

Comment

Hey, on my motor they just push in as such, mine looked ok from outside, but when trying to remove them, they pretty much disintegrated inside the engine (I had the heads off at the time so was able to clean all the zinc out of the water jackets)

So in answer to your question, the small drill and slide hammer would be the way to go. (if at all)
        1997 Yamaha 225hp Saltwater Series II.
        From Auckland, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
        X