Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuck water pump housing

2001 90TRLZ

I drained lower unit oil and it was black/grey. I refilled and replaced top screw and then forced a little more oil in at bottom screw. I then noticed gear oil leaking from black plastic water inlet covers on either side of lower unit.

I removed lower unit from the motor and removed water pump housing/impeller. I cannot get the lower water pump housing off (part number 26 on schematic) to inspect seals and bearings.

I don't have my service manuals available. Is there a trick to removing that housing? I don't want to break anything.

Assuming I can get it off, is replacing the seals beyond a DIYer?

The boat is used exclusively in salt water.

Thanks

oxy/acetylyne,2 large screw drivers and a lot of patience and still sometimes you destroy the seal housing.
    DO not destroy the gear case, seal housings are much cheaper.

Comment

I don't suppose that thing can be twisted in a lateral circle (with a big pipe wrench) to break it loose?

I'm desparate, if you can tell

Comment

I dont think it can. but patience and heat works.
        make sure the housing comes up straight.if you **** it you can break the bore in the gear housing.

Comment

You mention oxy/aceteline. How much heat will it tolerate? I tried an electric heat gun (the kind/used to remove paint) and I got some smoke coming out the shaft. Still no go. Would a propane torch do it?

I presume the little bit of new gear oil leaking out of the intake vents when i put a little pressure from the lower fill hole (using the hamd pump) means there is a leak in one of the two seals under that housing? Or am I looking for a ghost?

The gear oil was black, but didn't smell burnt and there was no water in it. . . .

Thanks very much.

Comment

you can pressure test the unit.
            now you know better than to try to top it off .

Comment

Working...
            X