• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Mgmt Gauge - Alert

Hi folks, out on the water today, I noticed on
    my fuel management guage there were letters
    "P S", then later in the day there was a
    flashing icon of some sort underneath the "P S"

I have never noticed either in the past.

I called the dealer from the water, but only the parts guy was in and had no clue.

I looked in my service manual, but the gauges are not covered in the service manual.

Ed

Oh, just found in my Grady Manual 1/2 of the answer. P S implies Port Starboard, however I still don't know what the flashing icon below them means. The grady manual says refer to the service manual.

Comment

Water separator sensor? Would be back there close to the fuel flow sender(s) near the Racor filter(s). Or the factory Yamaha fuel/water separator may have a sensor in it, depending on which model you use.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/a...600000-250.jpg

Mike

Comment

Thanks I'll give it a try.
        Ed

Comment

Well I do hate to answer my own questions, but since it's a good answer and a correction to Mr. Hamfist, thought I'd pass it along. It's not a sync issue, its a water seperation issue. I found it not in my service manual, but in the owners manual, which I didn't get when I bought the boat 2nd hand.

Reference http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...-03-29_561.pdf

Page 38 - Section 2-13
          and also
          Page 41 - Section 2-16

Now the question remains, what the heck am I supposed to do about it. Wondering what sensor is registering it. Fuel seperator not working? or Oil resevoir on the engine over full in that little nipple.

Any experience / recommendations welcome.

Comment

I believe you have a fuel water separator (Racor) on the boat. Probably two of them. That sensor is telling you that water is present in the clear fuel bowl and all you have to do is drain the bowl. Preferbly not into the bildge. Collect the contents in a container and when the fuel water separator is completely drained examite it and see how much water is present. Good luck.

Comment

Mine does the same thing. I do not have that option installed on my boat. They tell me that the wiring is there, and that mosture gets into the wires and causes it to flash. If you have that option, it will be a sensor near your water seperator. I forget the wire color, but you can find it in the Yami wiring schematic.

Comment

Last week I dumped in a bunch of fuel stabilizer. While I was on the mooring adding the stabilizer I let it run for about 1/2 hour. At the end of running the engines, the indicator finally stopped flashing. So I thought, pissah, its finally gone. A few days later was the day for me to take it out of the water. The boat yard is 20 miles away. When I got on the boat and started it, it was flashing again. About 1/2 way into the drive to the boat yard, it stopped flashing and remained off. So now, and as usual, I've got no clue. Good tip on the wiring harness. I haven't come across anything in there that indicates a sensor wire. I had already looked, but will look again. If there's a sensor on there, I'll be damned about where it actually is. I'm starting to wonder if it's in the tank. The service manual of course doesn't get into the guages at all. Just the engine. I'm just happy gas prices have come down. Amen.

Comment

Working...
                X