1997 225 pulser coil output??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 225 pulser coil output??

I've been trying to diagnose a 1997 225 vmax yammie . Will not get on plane. . Got a manual and tested all sensors and electrics. Only thing that stands out is peak volts on charge coil. At idle 228 volts. Book says max volts at 3500 should be 150 ? If I'm reading this correctly. Any expertise is appreciated And also tested fuel pressure and checked for restrictions.
    Last edited by pkbarlow; 04-17-2012, 09:44 PM. Reason: Quoted wrong part

are you using a peak reading meter? a standard digital meter will NOT give correct readings.
    are you sure your reading pulser coil(6) instead of charge coil?

Comment

Yes. Have analog dva and digital meter with dva adapter . Took reading between red and brown wires. And blue and black with red tracer ( I think that's right)
      This is charge coil according to manual ?? I know I put pulser coil now at title. I'm somewhat efficient at merc electrics but unsure of myself on Yamaha
      Thanks

Comment

Don't know what your model number is but the older 2.6L did have a little higher output voltage but not that high, try reversing polarity of meter test leads to see if get same reading, run a short to ground and resistance test on it.
        Try checking fire on each cylinder with a timing light to see if it is loosing fire on any of cylinders.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I have tried th timing light. It seems that starbrd side comes and goes. Also timing does not advance while checking at cranking ? I have learned that it does not fire 5 at idle or at least intermittent it will fire. Model is v225tlrw . Timing light could be bad cause it's odd that 3or 4 cylinders would quit and start again in matter of 4 to 5 seconds. I'll check all again shortly. Is it possible to unit each sensor one by one and see if timing advance comes back ?

Comment

Ok I have a messed up timing light and probably the wrong manual. I am getting timing advance action and spark 9 mm at cylinders. Did ck throttle link to verify shutter sync becaus at idle on hose would sneeze. Now I can't get idle below 1000 even if idle screw is not in contact. I do however have a bad gasket on o2 sensor. Getting a lot of blow by outside the block. I can assume this is causing a lean condition at that cylinder . Am I correct in thinking so?? Thanks for bearing with me.

Comment

Motor over heat too. Must have bad Tstats as well.

Comment

Your thoughts please

Ok went to river to back in at ramp. At 2500 to 3000 motor surges bad sometimes after back at idle and adding throttle In gear it acts as if it is loading up. I unplugged o2 sensor to see if any difference and not much to speak on.
                However gasket is leaking bad at o 2 sensor and smoking pretty good . Do you guys think this is creating a lean situation?
                When returning from river. I checked charge coil once more. Unplugged at cranking I got 130 volts with dva adapter . Plugged up I got 142 . Manual says 95 open at cranking and 110 closed at cranking.
                Only thing I can come up with is charge coil ( stator) is bad ??
                Any suggestions ?

Comment

I believe the manuals give minimum peak voltages not max

Comment

Working...
                  X