50TLR carb problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50TLR carb problems

I just bought a 16 ft Alumacraft Xpress boat with a 50 hp TLR. The person I bought this boat from is a very good friend of mine and he said he had the carb's cleaned 6 month's before I bought it from a local dealer and they had ran it dry. I bought it and it sat for another 6 month's before I took it out on the water about a month ago. It started fine and seemed to be idling ok, but maybe with a slight miss. When we idled out past the wake area, went to throttle it up and it would only go about 15 mph max, and seemed to be going about 2500 rpm max (had no tack). I've read about alot of problem's with these carb's, my amateur opinion is that you should keep seafoam or something similar in the tank alway's, but should also run the engine at least once a month all year long to keep the carb's lubed and open from gumming up. In my opinion, you have to also rev it up when running to open up the (jet's) in the carb's. What are your opinion's please?????

you nailed it....

Comment

50 hp carbs.

you need to have the carbs, rebuilt. they got gummed up due to running out of fuel. If you use Startron and Yamaha Ring Free in your fuel it will stop these problems . You
      don't have to run the carbs.out of fuel using these items,

Comment

If you run the motor till it dies you will still have fuel in carbs as you cannot suck all fuel out of bowls before it dies and the pump and lines will still have fuel in them also. That little bit of fuel evaporates over time and leaves deposits that will plug things up even when fresh fuel is added and run through the system.

Best to treat fuel and leave carbs full and run ever so often to get fresh fuel into carbs before they dry up

Comment

I have had the same problems. I have rebuilts and cleaned my carbs 6 times in 3 years. It is due to the ethenol. the ethenol leaves deposits in the bowls in your carbs wether or not you let it run dry. I recommend that you clean the carbs and use SEAfoam in the fuel the help. Also, I would use fuel with no ethenol and clean ther entire fuel system from the tank back.
          Carolina Skiff 16' JVX
          50 Yamaha TLR

Comment

The 5 or 10 minutes it takes to drain the carb float chambers is time well spent. Brass hex head drain bolt on bottom/side of each carb....do it several times per year and especially at extended lay-ups of several weeks/months. Save yourself a lot of fuel related trouble. good Luck!

Comment

Working...
            X