115 Alarm Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 115 Alarm Problems

I have a 115 that's about 11 years old. It runs great and has never had any major mechanical issues, but I've been battling an alarm problem for the past few months. Whenever the motor revs above 3000-3500 the alarm sounds and cylinders cut out. It even happens when I lift the cold start first thing in the morning. When I decrease the RPMs the alarm stops and the motor runs fine. I have good water pressure and a new water pump and my oil is mixed into the fuel. My local outboard mechanic replaced one of the heat sensors, thinking this would solve the problem. When I took it out for the first time after changing the sensor, I had the same problem, so I disconnected both of them. I ran it for a few minutes at about 4500 RPMs and thought the problem was solved until the alarm sounded again. What else could be causing the alarm to sound? Could it be an electrical short in the control box?
    Last edited by Josh_Becnel; 04-16-2012, 07:39 PM.

posting the model # will help others to know if it is a motor designed for premix or if you have modified it

Comment

It's designed for premix. No modifications.

Comment

But still no model #

Comment

Sorry, wasn't home to get model #. It's C115TLRY

Comment

Are you sure you disconnected both of the over-temp sensors? and wires did not touch a ground while running

Not sure on your motor but on my C40 there is a sensor for telling CDI motor is warmed up and one for overheat. Check to make sure you disconnected correct ones.

Might use a infrared gun to check head temps when alarm sounds, could be you have some corrosion build up in passages restricting water flow to some areas causing hot spots at high RPM.

If you did disconnect proper ones then could be CDI has a problem or sensor wire is grounding.

Comment

Josh, sounds exactly like the issues I had with my 1998 115....i ended up changing the fuse holders on the motor, only had it out twice since, but so far no alarm......if you have the gray ones, new fuses and holders might cure your problem.. something about a low voltage, loose battery connect alarm from what the mechanc was saying....give it a try...only thing you have to lose is a few bucks for parts and that freakin' aggravating alarm!!!! Good luck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Josh_Becnel View Post
                I have a 115 that's about 11 years old. It runs great and has never had any major mechanical issues, but I've been battling an alarm problem for the past few months. Whenever the motor revs above 3000-3500 the alarm sounds and cylinders cut out. It even happens when I lift the cold start first thing in the morning. When I decrease the RPMs the alarm stops and the motor runs fine. I have good water pressure and a new water pump and my oil is mixed into the fuel. My local outboard mechanic replaced one of the heat sensors, thinking this would solve the problem. When I took it out for the first time after changing the sensor, I had the same problem, so I disconnected both of them. I ran it for a few minutes at about 4500 RPMs and thought the problem was solved until the alarm sounded again. What else could be causing the alarm to sound? Could it be an electrical short in the control box?

HI IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM !
                With my Yamaha 115 2002
                what was your result of you problem ?
                Was it the CDI ?
                the Heat sensor alarm comes on even when I turn the key on
                sometimes . Its Very aggravating !
                Did you find a solution ?

Comment

Working...
                X