Possible bad Gauges 2004 115TLRC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible bad Gauges 2004 115TLRC

I recently completed a lot of work on my boat because it needed some TLC after purchasing it and doing a lot or research on being a boat owner. So far I have cleared up all the previous problems with the exception for two and the common element is the gauges.

Last year I ran my boat maybe 6 times since I was out of state or just to busy to do anything with it. At the on set of this year I took it out and when trying to go WOT it would sputter and drop to about 3200 RPM until I throttled down to about 3/4 where I could get it to hold at 3800 RPM. Took to the forums and found lots of things to check, which i did. Replaced water pump, found oil level sensor wasn't hooked up on the motor, fuel filter was mucked up, fuel pump was fine, installed fuel/water separator, drained/cleaned fuel tank of bad fuel. Also had a bad livewell impeller, bilge pump switch and some other electrical issues that have all been resolved.

Here's the only remaining issues, with out running the motor my gauges are showing a water temp alarm, thermo-switches checked out good. Also, my fuel gauge reads empty unless I have a completely full tank, fuel sender is within specs and corroded/bad connections have been replaced since there was one that was completely corroded. I have eliminated almost every thing I can possibly think of except for the gauges for these two issues. The gauges are Yamaha digital gauges that came on the boat, part number not known since I can't see the back of the gauges and pulling my dash anymore than 3" away from the console is impossible with out disconnecting everything.

Any recommendations?

The gray wire going to temp light is grounded somewhere on engine or in harness going to gauges.
    Probably need to replace fuel sender.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I had thought it was a bad fuel sender unit too but after pulling the unit from the tank and measuring the resistance and ensuring it worked and was within specs I eliminated it as a possible problem. I'll check for grounded wires etc for the temp sender hopefully tonight, waiting for some rain to pass.

Comment

Working...
      X