F150 black/rust particles in fuel rail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F150 black/rust particles in fuel rail

First time poster, been a lurker various times in the past. I've had fuel/injector clogging issues in the past, and have corrected the problem(or sympton) in the past. I blamed it on bad gas and water accumalation in the tank. Not an advanced mechanic type by no means, but learning alot.

On to my current issue, I changed every filter in my fuel system, cleaned VST, had the injectors sent out to clean, etc, etc. Took the boat out last week and ran excellent. Ran around at various speeds for probably 3 hours. Could not be happier and more confident with its performance. However, heading back to the boat launch, the engine started missing and stuttering again. I knew an injector was clogged again. Frustrated, I pulled the fuel rail and drained the contents into a wine glass. Some very, very fine dark or black particles drained out of the rail with the fuel. I then poured Seafoam into the rail and shook it a couple times to see if any more of the particles would come out and actually washed out a little bit more.

I was thinking that maybe it was something from a hose decomposing, but thought that I would see these particles on the other filters upstream. I stuck a magnet to the particles, and sure enough, the particles stuck to the magnet.

My question is: WHAT IS THE SOURCE OF THESE PARTICLES?

Wouldn't these particles stick to the filter inside the VST and upstream filters if it were coming from upstream?

I'm now thinking that my HP pump is producing these particles. Has anyone experienced this? Is that possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The fuel/water separator filter is made out of metal and the VST fuel pump housing is made out of metal, sounds like the entire fuel system needs to be cleaned including gas tank and get all water out.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the response boats.net.

Fuel system was clean. Fuel/water seperator brand new. All filters brand new.

I dumped the fuel/water seperator into a mason jar and didn't see any debris or even a drop of water or anything.

I have noticed some surface rust on the fuel pump housing. Very light corrosion, which I pretty much removed as best i could with scotch bright. I'm worried that that is my source. I wonder if the internals of the pump are corroding and sending the fine particles to the injectors.

Comment

Working...
      X