Overheating and no water stream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating and no water stream

Changed the water pump over the winter, pretty easy job.
    Fired it up todat and no water stream - broke it down and the impella seems OK, turns OK but obviously water isnt getting up to the head.
    Any suggestions for diagnosis
    Yamaha 130 2 stroke
    Thanks for the help
    failed to mention I did the stats also
    Last edited by Britfish; 04-14-2012, 07:34 PM.

Did the motor overheat? or is it just not pumping water out the tell-tale?

Make sure the tell-tale hole is clear, run a small dia wire up into the tube to clean it out, or blow air into the hole to clear the tube out.

Comment

both, it overheated while there was water running out then the water stopped running when I broke it down to check the impeller, it appears that the water pump isnt getting water up to the head

Comment

water tube not hooked up?

Comment

running in a garbage can of water, tube hooked up. Thought is might be a blockage but all seems OK and this thing is fresh water flushed every time it goes out - I'm stuck !

Comment

Blow low pressure air through the tell-tale tube and see if air is coming out of the water tube in the lower unit. or you can do it the other way around.

Comment

Overheating

Pull lower unit off stick garden hose up on to water tube and have someone crank up engine with full water pressure at garden hose. If water comes out at overboard pisser then you have a water pump assy. Problem.or you missed the tube when installing the lower unit back on.

Comment

nice diagnosis Ed, thank you - heres the deal - I dont need to run it - I shot a full bore garden hose and the pee stream is great, so I gues it HAS to be a water pump issue right ? goingt o breat that down again

Comment

Water pump

Is it possible the keyway for the impellor fell out upon assembly and the impellor isn't turning?
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I guess its possible but I have taken the lower unit on and off at least 5 times today, seems strange that it would keep happening, right ?

Comment

I'm thinkinking its a leakage issue around the drive shaft as it exists the impella housing

Comment

Water pump

Something is definitly not right..

IMHO, have the parts fisch as you re-assemble it with all NEW PARTS.

Something may be bent/warped, not fully seated or missing...

The stats are installed in the correct direction I'm assuming?

Since the prblem developed once the stats and WP were installed and you do get water thru the pee hole, it, unfortunatly, has to be something in the procedure of re-assembly...
                        Scott

Comment

wrong parts maybe?
                          I have heard of some aftermarket parts not being correct ones.
                          Make sure impeller fits correctly between cup and wear plate to seal properly

Check on PRV also to make sure it is not stuck open, If this motor has one
                          Last edited by 99yam40; 04-16-2012, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Looks like you nailed it Scott - dealer hadnt given me 2 washer parts
                            Will be working on it tonight and let you know
                            Thanks to ALL for the advice and help

Comment

water pump

Hopefully that'll do it...

Please post what ya come up with... Scott
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X