2005 150 4 stroke power tilt/trim leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 150 4 stroke power tilt/trim leak

I have a leak in my port engine power tilt/trim system. I have checked the seals on all the rams and the cap with no leaks. After closer inspection, I observed fluid pooling up on the back side of the unit between the tilt motor housing and the tilt ram housing. Has anyone dealt with this type of issue before?

Probably have to remove trim unit and see if can find leak.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Maybe check to be sure it's not oil leaking from motor and running/dripping down onto tilt/trim area.

Comment

Thanks for the thought but its definitely not engine oil running down. The power tilt fluid has been leaking since last season. I get about three days worth of trim/tilt out of the fluid. If I dont refill in time the engine will not tilt up or down. The engine is about 7 years old with 470 hours on it. I'm going to pull the boat out and figure it out after the launch rush is over. I was just hoping someone had a similiar problem and could help trouble shoot.

Comment

Chances are it's one of the seals my 86 would do the same thing in order to find it put the motor up and don't lock it in the up poss, the motor should start to lower due to loss of pressure clean everything real good and look for the leak mine was a really slow weep from the inner seal the the piston shaft

Comment

I understand that the tilt/trim units are not easily serviced or repaired, may require replacement...but check it out, and good luck!

Comment

My F115 was doing the same thing. Not a bad job to rebuild, seals and "O" rings cost me about $100. You must have a workshop manual and if you don't, download one. I made a wrench to remove the cylinder screws from some 2" flat bar and socket head cap screws. If you want to tackle the job I can give more detail.
              Bigearl

Comment

Tilt Trim leak

I would like to read al of the details. Thanks

Comment

I have a 2006 F115 with 130 hrs and just noticed a leak on the power trim. just as stated in the first post here it is leaking on the back side where the motor housing meets the trim housing just as storchy206 described. I disassembled it last night and see there are 5 O-rings in there. I purchased them today and will install them tonight. I will post my finding once I have installed the new O-rings.

the whole unit is as clean as new... hope this isn't some sort of defect

If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears... thanks! Jerry

I know this is an old post but this was the closest thing I found in my google search.
                  2006 F115 Hurricane 226 Fun Deck

Comment

those orings fail for no appearent reason.
                    happens.
                    some units fail faster than others.
                    the trim unit on the F150 is the same basic unit used by other manufacturers as well.
                    while not common it happens.
                    easy fix.

Comment

Rodbolt17- well all was going well until I dropped the check ball down the journal ... wonder where it ended up?

#28 fell in the journal when that pin #27 fell out and "I" didn't notice until it was to late... looks like it may have gone to the bottom of the tilt piston. I guess i'll find out today when I take the unit to the shop. DAMN!!

Last edited by stuff2c!; 09-05-2014, 09:57 AM.

Comment

another question... I pumped ALL the fluid out trying to get the ball to come out (DESPERATION). what is the best/easiest way to replace all the fluid? while I have the unit on the bench. Thanks,Jerry

Comment

OK- I got the tops opened on all three pistons at a marine shop... OUCH $100 minimum shop rate. But they will also tighten them when I'm finished.

I pulled the first trim piston closest to the motor side... NOTHING! so continued along to the tilt piston...NOTHING! Crap I'm not too happy, but one to go. BTW all the pistons were in the down position. On to number three the last trim piston... SHAZAM!!!! the little ball bearing had traveled all the way to the other side of the whole unit. I am now as happy as one frustrated shade tree marine mechanic can be.

Now I have to refill the unit.

Question? can I pre-fill the unit with the pistons all the way in?

ALSO... it looks as if corrosion was just starting to creep in between the two machined surfaces where the trim motor mounts to the trim housing. Any thoughts on what to put on the surfaces to help stop this for the future? This is an as new 130 hour motor, so this is kind of disturbing.
                          Last edited by stuff2c!; 09-05-2014, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Highjacking someone's thread is not cool

Start your own

Comment

can you hijack a tread that's over two years old and my information pertains to the original information?

I thought the information would be easier to find if it was all in a single place.

Got any useful input?

thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X