Power trim motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power trim motor

I have a 1985 90 hp Yamaha outboard, 90ETLK, with a power trim motor which worked well for years, then sounded rough but worked, and then didn't work at all this year. I took the motor housing off (not the entire motor assembly), removed the rust from the inside and reinstalled it and now it runs again but sounds rough. The power trim will only lift the engine a half inch and then the engine falls back down. When we initially tried to remove the motor we removed some of the screws from the base which led to some of the hydraulic fluid leaking out. I checked the reservoir and it still has fluid. Do I need to bleed the hydraulic system? and if so how is this done?. Or does it sound like the power trim motor needs replacing? Thanks for any help.

It sounds like the motor nedds replaced and there is air in system. To bleed open manual release screw and lift outboard to full up position, fill oil reservoir and lower outboard then lift back up and refill.lower motor down and tighten manual release screw and raise to up position with trim switch, refill with oil then open manual release let motor down, tighten manual release and trim back up and check oil level.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the help. Is there a certain type of oil to use or something generic? Also prior to removing trim motor should I drain using manual release screw?

Comment

Working...
      X