84 Yamaha 90 electric trim/tilt problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 84 Yamaha 90 electric trim/tilt problem

I noticed the trim/tilt no longer works when the throdle lever is more than 1/2 way forward. I pull it back close to neutral and it begins to operate the rest of the way and in neutral. This is the black rocker switch in the handle. Do I start by checking something in this handle?

Has it trimmed OK under load in the past?
    Does this motor have power trim and tilt or just power tilt?
    does it trim slowly at the very bottom and then faster the rest of the way up during the tilt?

If it has PT&T You need to see if the relay is getting 12 V from the switch when the problem is occurring.

Comment

Power trim and tilt. I will do some more testing this weekend. Under load it worked before so that is interesting. I am going to (with motor off) go through throttle positions and test operation. If it works that way then it has to do with under load conditions. In the water I remember trying switch in both directions nothing till I pulled up on throttle.

Comment

Then it could be the wiring

Comment

It's the wiring, must be broken. I play with the black shealded wire and it makes it work.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/7...3739731622.jpg

Next question is if I can order this wiring?

Comment

This is the motor info.

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/4...3740105342.jpg

Comment

It looks like I could buy the entire remote control listed at the end of the parts breakdown?

Comment

Ok, I ordered the complete remote control and received it today. I first want to say thank you to Yamaha for still making this same exact part. My motor is a 1985 90HP 2 stroke. When they say complete I mean this thing is complete with all the wiring, key etc. Seems like the set up one would get when installing a new motor from scratch. What I did not study (on my existing remote) is if my motor has this same plug connection at the end of the wiring at the motor. Were they doing this plug connection at the motor back then?

My boat is 250 miles from my house as we store it in an indoor storage unit at the resort we vacation at at Lake Havasu. Hopefully this is plug and play when I head back out this Thursday night for the weekend. Any feedback would be appreciated. I also bought a new water pump OEM maintenance kit and I have to say this is also very complete with new bolts and everything.

John

By jkopp at 2012-04-17

Comment

One more photo I was taking of the fuel line that I had to replace after 23 yrs. It kind of shows the wiring in the background.

Comment

Installed the new remote yesterday everything was plug and play exept one thing. I noticed an extra yellow wire was added and connected to the other yellows so I transferred this over to the new con*****er. I think this went to another alarm in the instrumemt area.

This newer con*****er has the choke Switch built into the key by pushing the key forward the choke is on. I had the choke toggle switch under the key. Took me a few mins to figure this out.

Comment

Working...
                    X