Woodruff Key Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodruff Key Removal

I am rebuilding the water pump on my 2000 Yamaha 115 TLRY. I cannot remove the woodruff key. I tried soaking the key with penetrating oil over night, used the punch method to try to roll the key. I used vice grips. diagonal cutters to try to grab the key and move the key. No go.
    What else should I try?

Maybe you can get under/behind it with a center-punch and a hammer. I tapped on one end of mine with a hammer and it "rocked" it loose, since it's shaped like a half-moon. Good Luck!

Comment

Dremel Tool to grind it, but be careful not to damage the shaft.
      This is another reason to change it often so the key and all the bolts do not freeze up

Comment

The only thing that has worked for me is a really good pair (not a cheap pair) of dikes. Grab it from the top really tight and pull away from shaft. I've tried all those other tools and this one worked. I had to go buy a good pair though the cheaper pair didn't work

Comment

I used a punch to roll it out. A friend suggested I place shaft tight in vice and use punch. I did it and it worked. My friend said I probably was getting some "bounce" . Previously I secured the skeg in the vice. Like realtors say "Location , location, location.

Thank you all.

Comment

good quality new side cutters remove them easy.

Comment

Squeeze the key with Vice Grips and tap from the back side. or tap the top of the key in towards the shaft first. Then try to pull it out. All else fails, Dremel tool

Comment

when you get it out file down the new one a little so it will come out the next time

Comment

easiest way?
                  dull a small chiesel and drive it out from the top.
                  why that key is so tight ?
                  dunno but some i burn out with oxy/acetylyne.

Comment

Working...
                  X