Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F60 will pull start but not key start(cranking fast)???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F60 will pull start but not key start(cranking fast)???

Hi I have a Yamaha f60 on a 16' aluminum work skiff. The boat got flipped on its side one day while tied to dock from huge wake. Only left side of engine went under. After righting the boat and cleaning all connections motor ran great.

Months later now it will not key start. Battery good 13.1 volts and load test well 11.4v under load at starter. It will crank fast and as good as ever but no start. So I took off top shroud and tried to pull start (key on) and it starts everytime first try!? All fuses look good as does the connections also it has new starter. Battery cables run strait to motor not hull grounded.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Because your engine will start by using a pull start, it is safe to say that your major electrical components are fine. It would appear that because the no start condition only occurs when you have the key in the start position that power to the ignition system is not there. I would first verify that you have no spark when using the starter. If this is the case I would again look for bad connections at the main harness connections from the ignition switch.

Comment

Working...
    X