2002 V4 115 hard start and dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 V4 115 hard start and dies

I bought a 2003 crestliner 1850 with a 115 V4, since I have had the boat I have noticed it always is hard to start cold. And when you give it gas to get up and go it will die. WHat could it be??

Did it sit for a long time without being run? If so the carbs are probably clogged up and need to be cleaned out. Yamaha carbs are notorious for clogging if the motor isn't run regularly. Also use a fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank, like Sta-Bil (Walmart) or Sea Foam (Advance Auto). If you don't have a factory service manual for your motor you can order one online from www.YamahaPubs.com and they'll mail it to your door. Do you hear the choke butterflies closing when you actuate the choke? How old are the fuel filters (the Racor and the one under the hood...). Good luck.

Mike......... Miami, FL

Comment

I use stabilizer in every tank of gas since there are long periods, unfortunately between uses. The motor dying when I give it gas happens all the time I have to gently increase the gas or it will die, but runs fine full throttle.

Comment

Carbs are probably gummed up then. Try running a shock treatment of Berryman's Chemtool through the Racor filter if you have one or the small filter under the hood if you don't. One way or the other you'll have to clean out the carbs and jets.

Mike

Comment

Working...
        X