2003 yamaha 225 4 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 yamaha 225 4 stroke

I have two yamaha 225hp 4 strokes on 2003 grady went to start engines for spring start up and neither motor will start. Both motors have spark.Installed new plugs because old plugs were soaked with oil. Checked LP fuel pumps they checked out ok. No blown fuses. need suggestions
    Last edited by thomasg66; 03-20-2012, 07:17 PM.

can you hear the high pressure fuel pumps running .......do you have a fuel pressure gauge as it sounds like that high pressure is not there..

also the fuel in the vst could have gone off there is a drain on the bottom of the vst you can drain out all the old fuel .

@ at key on you need 42 psi at idle you need 38 psi .

you need three things spark, compression and fuel ... you have spark so i doubt that you have lost compression ....so just leaves fuel.

Comment

I can hear the pumps run when the key is turned on.my next step is to start ripping apart the motor to get to the hp fuel pumps.But, I'm a little concerned both engnes are doing the same thing. I'm wondering if i'm missing something electrical. Thanks for your help.

Comment

if the hp pumps are running you should have fuel pressure you have pumped the fuel ball until it is hard you can drain the vst with out pulling things to bits and see if the fuel is stale the screw is on the port side of the engine in the bottom of the vst
        Last edited by mitch; 03-21-2012, 05:28 AM.

Comment

just a quick one you have put the emergency lanyard in it can happen

Comment

Emergency lanyard is in. I need to start looking at fuel pumps, it's puzzeling that both motors have the same problem. Also hooked external fuel tank to see if fuel was the issue,not the case. Could there be a main circuit breaker or something of that nature that i'm missing?

Comment

Are you going to check the pressures or not?
              If it has proper pressure you can look at something else, but it the pressures are out of spec you can look at filters and screens, pump volts & amps, etc.

simple way is to test things first to see what is and is not in spec.
              leak down test,voltages/spark, timing, and fuel pressures
              Last edited by 99yam40; 03-21-2012, 04:13 PM.

Comment

have check to see if the lawn yard switch was put on? its usually located next to the ignition switch. only reason would not start if it was parked for a long time and fuel residue is causing the engine to flood with with exes fuel.

Comment

make sure you check EVERYTHING, regardless of how simple it may seem, do not start pulling things to bits before you do this, or you will have a few faults to chase, if it was Ok when stored, then something really simple has happened. Even triple check the emergency lanyard, the switch could be jamming shut, you never know!

Comment

I opened up the vst and the hp fuel pump appeared to be frozen i treated it with some penetrating oil and hooked it to dc power supply and it broke free.Starting reassembly thursday after work. hopefully this is the problem. I will post after reassembly. thanks for everyone's input.

Comment

that,s it............ check your fuses for the hp fuel pumps as well ............................the legend for the fuses is on the cover .

Comment

Working...
                      X