2002 150 TXRA tapped/locked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 150 TXRA tapped/locked

I have a 2002 150 txra. I bought it used 6 years ago and it was a former rental boat. All service done every 100 hours prior to my purchase. I ran it yesterday with the wife and kids and it started making a tapping sound that followed the RPM's. I had to run it to get to a dock as I was in the channel and tapping got worse (louder) then locked up. I was able to turn it over to get one more thrust to get to slip. I dropped it off at the mechanic but was wanting to be prepared for what he might say. New Motor? powerhead? one cylinder? No other problems since I bought it other than replaced plugs, water pump, oil and gas. What am I in for?

Hard to say at this point, need to open it up and see what all happened.
    If it restarted after lock up, maybe it was a piston seizing but that does not make since with the knocking.
    Probably due to bearings,
    Just an wild opinion without data

Comment

plugs/waterpump/oil/gas ? is that all youve done in 6 yrs ??

Comment

Yes. I was about to have an extensive service job but put it off until after one more trip. Lesson learned. Now have a locked up motor needing who knows what. Just glad I wasn't far from the hill when it happened and it wasn't August, 100 degrees, kids and wife in tow, and a thunderstorm bearing down.

Comment

Locked up 150 yamaha

Okay. So I took it to the shop and the guy says try and turn it over. I do. Duh, It's locked up. I leave it with him and he calls me today and says the motor is locked up and not worth fixing. I asked how he determined this. He tried to rotate the flywheel. He did not go any further. Lesson learned. Paid $63 for somebody to tell me something I already knew. Now what. Take it to someone else? Take the bolts off the head and look at the cylinder/pistons myself? Any ideas? This guy did not want to touch it and not worth fixing. maybe he's right, but how's he know without opening it up and spending the 1 to 2 hours.

Comment

Maybe take the motor to a real Yamaha Dealer to inspect and repair as needed. Worst case could be a new/rebuilt powerhead, maybe $2500....If the motor is otherwise in good running condition, the rebuilt powerhead could make sense. Maybe after the Yamaha Technician gets in there, the motor is more repairable than we think!...hopefully! Good Luck!

Comment

new powerhead more like $4300
              then add on testing components that could have caused it

Comment

Working...
              X