Trim Gauge for Yamaha Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim Gauge for Yamaha Not Working

I hope someone on the forum can help me. I have a 2003 Champion 193 CX with a Yamaha 2003 200 HPDI, VZ200TLRB. The engine and boat were purchased new in 2004. About 2 months ago, when I took my boat out I noticed the trim gauge was not working. The gauge is a Teleflex Sportsman series. I bought a new gauge to replace it and it does not work either, I called the new Teleflex support and they told me how to test the gauges and both are working. I replaced the trim sender with a new one last week and the gauge still does not work. Any help and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Check to see if trim cam is broken, number one in this link(it's a plastic band around tilt tube) 2003 VZ200TLRB Yamaha Outboard BRACKET 2 Diagram and Parts
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

That was one of the first things I looked at, sorry I did not say that in my note. After installing the new trim sender, I checked the gauge by moving the sender lever by hand as well and got no reading at the gauge, it remains at the very top position. If I switch the brown, black and purplish wires around in different combinations, the gauge shows full down, but does not move when the motor is lifted. Right now the brown wire goes to S, the black to the center post and the purplish to the I post. I checked the gauge as well by taking all but the purplish I wire and the ground wire off and shorting it to the S post and the gauge immediately went to full down as I was told it is supposed too. I appreciate your help on this!

Comment

If sender is ok, gauge is ok then only thing left is wiring problem between gauge and sender or between key switch and gauge.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thank you, can you tell me how to test the wiring? Does the circuit go from the key switch to the gauge, the sender and then back through the gauge and then to ground? When I plugged the new sender in, I noticed there was a gray wire that comes into the same plug, can you tell me what that does and where it goes? Thanks for the responses.

Comment

Would need to contiuity of pink wire in harness between engine and trim gauge, Check for 12 volts with key on between Yellow wire and black wire at trim gauge.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X