Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Problems... I think

Engine is a 2001 V150TLRZ.

When I tried to start it last week the engine would barely idle so I started the usual route. As soon as I took of the external water/fuel separator, it was full of rusty watery fuel. So i did the following

- Drained Fuel tank.
    - Replaced external water fuel separator.
    - Took carburetors off the engine and took them apart and cleaned them.
    - Replaced Spark Plugs.
    - Cleaned cup filter and element on engine.
    - Flushed new fuel through lines.

I took an external tank with brand new gas and ran that to the engine to eliminate the fuel problem for the mean time. Now the engine will start and run on the trailer with the hose hooked up. It sounds just a little rougher than it used too but turns over plenty of rpms in neutral.

Problem is that when I put it in the water it will barely stay at idle and won’t even think about going into gear and running. You can play with the manual choke some and get it to idle for a few more seconds. Then I get an alarm going off that I assume is the high temp alarm.

What should I try next?

Have the carbs sonic cleaned?
    New Fuel Pumps?
    New Engine????

Any help is greatly appreciated. Especially since the first run cobia have just shown up off our beaches today.

Run a compression test to make sure the lean running problem didn't damage pistons. Probably still have pluged low speed passages and jets in carbs, check low speed jets to see if plugged up.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

The alarm went off for about 5 seconds max before I shut it down. Is that long enough to do any damage? Will compression check to be sure.

I will pull the carbs again and be sure to check the low speed jets. Am I correct that you cannot remove the low speed jets? I did not see any possible way to remove these from the housing when I had them apart. I sprayed cleaner through each hole on the jet. (Some of which were barley visible. tiny) Is there any other way to clean these jets?

Comment

sounds like carbs to me too

Comment

Carbs it was....

Pulled them off again and tore them do one more time. All of the Jets looked good so I started checking everything in very slow detail. I came across the gasket that goes between the bowl and main body of the carb. Right around the low jets the gasket was very rough/jagged torn and wold allow fuel and air to flow between the bowl and jet.

$80 later and a new set of gaskets for each carb and we are back in buisness. I ran her across the bay yesterday and she never missed a lick. Thanks guys for all the help.

Comment

Working...
          X