Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha P-165

Hey!

I am new to outboards but I have experience with Yamaha snowmobiles. I was recently given an old P-165 outboard engine that use to belong to my grandfather. I know nothing about outboards so I have a few questions.

Where could I find out what year it is, this would help me find specs on it and a service/owners manual.

It was fixed up a few years ago but never been used since. I am hoping a carb cleaning, new plugs, gas should get it running unless there are more problems.

On the gas tank it says mix gas and oil 100:1, is this correct?

Any information that could help me out would be great. Any other fluids, filters, anything need to be greased?

All help is appreciated!

Never heard of a P-165 outboard, have no information on it.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Not sure what year it is but the 100:1 is a clue that it's from the mid to late eighties. Back then the EPA was putting the thumb screws to the outboard manufactures to reduce the amout of oil going through outboards.
      Almost all of the manufactures tried the 100:1 ratio with terrible results, lots of ruined motors. Premix your fuel 50:1 and say yourself some misery.

Comment

Thanks.

I got it running today, went to the dealer with it and he figures its from the 70's, the tank must be newer. New gas and plugs and it runs great.

Now that I know it runs, anything I should do to make it sea-worthy. Any fluids need changing, any parts need greasing? I will be searching for how to do maintenance but any tips are greatly appreciated!

Comment

You should change the lower unit gear oil.

Comment

So just take out the drain and "level" screw to drain the oil, then plug the drain and add until full?

Comment

When filling it is easier to use a squeeze type bottle, with a tapered nozzle. Cut the nozzle so that it is a tight fit into the drain hole, and squeeze until oil comes out the level hole. now reinsert the drain plug.

Comment

I never thought filling from the bottom would be easier? I will give it a try, thanks.

Comment

You have to fill it from the bottom otherwise you will get an airlock and not enough oil will go in!

Comment

Got it taken care of with a pump. Thanks guys.

Also wondering how this thing is cooled. My I/O uses lake water and I assume this one does as well. How do I make sure it is working? There is a screw that is marked "wash" and I assume that is for cleaning the water passages for the cooling?

I know very little about outboards.

Thanks.

Comment

I was able to run it in a large pail for 10 mins and I was still able to touch the motor, however there is no water coming out of the "tell tale".
                      Last edited by yamahas09; 03-18-2012, 06:41 PM.

Comment

You either don't have it deep enough in water or your tell tale is plugged. Tell tales get plugged especialy when the motor has been sitting a while. Bugs like mud wasps and spiders have a tendancy to build in there. You can try a wire or take it apart to clean it.

Comment

Thank you, I was not sure if this engine would have one. How do I know what hole is the tell tale? The engine stays cool so i think it was in the water enough.

I can post pictures if that helps...

Comment

A pic would be good as no one on here knows what a P-165 is, or at least I do not.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X