Fuel Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Gauge

Hi I have a yamaha fuel gauge 6y5-85750 what range of OHMS should the tank sender be for this gauge? my tank is built in BW 166 gals,it is full at 30 OHMS and the gauge is at about 50% or 1/2, the gauge that I removed was a merc and it read 100% or full,my first thought was that the gauge was defective,so I replaced it with a nother new gauge and with the same results,I have also checked the grounds and they are good 0.1 OHMS,what am I missing here,does yamaha fuel gauges require a special sending unit other than 33-240 OHMS,also grounded the sending wire,it put the gauge at 100% or full.
    Last edited by tizzel57; 03-14-2012, 01:16 PM. Reason: added info

The Yamaha fuel gauges do work on standard fuel senders, if it's a digital gauge then will need to set dip switch in back of gauge for USA sender.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

fuel gauge

Thank you for the reply,the gauge is a analog unit,when I ground the sending wire the gauge reads full,by adding a 5.8 OHM resistor in parrallel to the 30OHM from the sender it reads full,not sure if this will work thru the full range of the sender?I wonder if there was a batch of bad gauges manufactured?

Comment

If gauge reads full with sender wire grounded then gauge should be good, have a problem with sender or a ground wire problem from sender.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

fuel gauge

Not all yamaha analog fuel meters are the same,6Y5-85750-00 are made for 5 OHM to 105 OHM senders,6Y5-85750-10 are made for 33 OHM to 240 OHM senders, the supplier sent the wrong gauges twice to me.

Comment

If you connect the resistor in parallel the voltage will not change. The current will flow to the path of least resistance bypassing the resistor, therefore the resistor needs to be in series by splicing the resistor in the circuit.

Hope this helps,
            Rob

Comment

Working...
            X