Pro v115 1997 cyl fouling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro v115 1997 cyl fouling

Any ideas why the port side cyls would run richer and foul out while the starboard cyls burn clean. (plugs on stbd. are a nice tan colour. Could the fuel punp have anything to do with the problem?

Check the O-ring seals around the main jets on the side that's fouling. Pull the main jets out (those big brass bolt looking things at the base of the carb bowls...) and inspect the O-ring seals at the small end of each jet. If they're cracked or torn you'll get fuel leaking by and flooding of that cylinder. Other than that I'd say pull the carbs completely off and give them a good cleaning out.

Mike

Comment

If it's just the port side I would first suspect the thermostat for that bank is stuck open or gunked up causing that side to run colder than it should, especially if it idles quite a bit. Easy to replace, just order new thermostats and gaskets and retorque to ~8nm in a crossing pattern. I'd try that before I pulled apart the carbs. Very highly unlikely you have the same problem on the same side in both the top and bottom carb. Fuel pump, could be, cheap and easy to replace. If the therms don't fix change the fuel pump. If that doesn't work I'd check the spark on the port and compare to starboard. If that doesn't work I'd check out the pulser coil. Like I said, highly unlikely the same carb problem on the same side on BOTH the top and bottom carb. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
      X