New Here With a Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Here With a Question

Found this forum this evening and there seems to be a pretty good knowledge base and very little attitude. Kudos to all of you.

I joined to ask a question of you all regarding buying a used motor. Here's my info, I have about $2000 to spend and have three option of motors to buy.

Option #1 2000 90hp Merc on a mid 80's boat, I don't need the boat I have one. Private seller, asking $2000. Craiglist ad, simply says motor looks and runs good.

Option #2 1990 Evinrude 120hp. $1600. Running motor from a dealer that was traded in. Has all service records on it, nothing major except a lower unit overhaul in 2008.

Option #3 1999 Yamaha C115 in very good conditon from a dealer. Has one bad cylinder. Dealer has pulled the head. Says the cylinder looks like a ring may have broken. Scoring in the cylinder is a little past being able to hone it out, he suggests getting just that cylinder bored and hone the rest.

I have a pretty extensive small engine background, did it for a living for 7 years, but have never torn into an outboard. Very confident in making the repairs myself, short of the machining. I do question the boring out of only one cylinder though.

I know that no one can put themselves in my shoes, but what would you all recommend? I know many things factor into the decision, but as far as durability and general trouble free operation, which is the route I should take? What other kind of thoughts do you have on these three options?

Thanks to all of you in advance,
    Mike

I forgot to mention, the dealer wants $1200 for the Yamaha.

Thanks.

Comment

$1200 for a broke motor?
      and not sure how much it will cost you to fix at this point.
      ****ing motor apart may be a problem if corrosion is a factor and you start breaking bolts.
      any of these motors been run in salt water?

Comment

None of the motors would I expect saltwater as I am in Wisconsin. Short boating season up here.

I didn't mention that all three that I am considering are 2 strokes.

Believe it or not from what I have found around here you are very unlikely to find a motor 85-125hp that is newer than mid 80's for much under $3000.

I will be able to inspect the C115 cylinders myself before purchase as the dealer has already pulled the heads off to insepect. I am going to assume that if there doesn't appear to be any damage to the other three cylinders that the motor did not have an oil issue that would have caused internal damages.

Comment

Being a C motor it is a premix motor, no oil inject.
          So plugged jets/passages in one or more carbs can cause lean burning and lack of lube in those cylinders.

Buying a motor you can test run before buying would be best in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
          X