Motor running slow with full power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor running slow with full power

I was driving in open water yesterday and the motor all of a sudden slowed almost to a stop. It is a 1997 Yamaha 9.9hp 2 stroke. I did not hit anything. It felt like the prop was just gone and when I checked it was there. It can drive but maxes out at about 3-5mph. If I try to go faster it makes a grinding/ scraping noise but still wont go any faster. It revs fine in Neutral and drives regular in reverse. It is just in forward it will not go fast. This is a 14ft aluminum boat that can do aout 20mph on average. So this is not a minor change. Recently I have been having trouble with losing throttle control in neutral. It will rev up or die and there is no real way to control this. Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Run a compression test, check gearcase oil for water or metal on drain plug magnet.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Remove the cowling and check to make sure your shifting cogs are fully engaged when in forward gear. Also check to make sure your thottle plates in your carb are fully open when at full speed. If not adjust accordingly. Just some thoughts.

Comment

I will second checking the bottom end for metalic particles. You might also check to be sure the shift rod has not come out of adjustment.

Comment

Working...
        X