Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet another stupid battery cable question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another stupid battery cable question...

Gday, New guy here
    Firstly like to say that this is by far the best resourcefull forum that ive come across. Been reading it for awhile in the background.

But now im stumped and need some assistance.

I recently purchased a 1987 140hp Yamaha(i know usa doesnt have 140 but im pretty sure the 115hp are very similar)

Ok my question, I purchased new battery cables today and put them on where i think they go - to starter body and + to relay.
    But when i do this i have no power at key, wont start or trim/tilt, also yellow wires from 703 control box have no power.
    So i remove the + cable and hold it on other side of relay and it turns motor over and starts and also i have power coming from yellow wires.
    I forgot to check trim/tilt at that time but im guessing that works aswell.
    Also key needed to be on to start and also shuts off with key.

Thanks in advance...

The positive battery cable should connect to large post on starter relay(not the post with starter wire connected) along with another red wire from engine harness connected on same post with battery cable.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thx for reply, When i do place it on the + of the relay nothing happens when i turn key...no power to yellow wires form control box or trim/tilt dont work.

Comment

It has to be on same post as the red wire from engine harness.
        Should have battery cable and red wire on one post and starter lead wire on other post.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Yes thats how i have it and im getting no power to key.

Comment

Ok just got home from work and done another look over. On the terminal with the battery cable is 1 red wire which goes into a box which looks like 2 relays inside. Comin out of that box are green, blue, black, l/green and l/blue and none of them have power coming out. To me they look like there all going to the tilt/trim.

Confuzzled

Comment

Upon reading the manual, that box is the trim/tilt relays.(im assuming as diagram is hazy). There has to be another wire or something tht ive missed

Thanks again for taking the time to read this...

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
                It has to be on same post as the red wire from engine harness.
                I would find that red wire that comes from the harness to see where it goes.
                probably has a fuse, but I am not positive

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  I would find that red wire that comes from the harness to see where it goes.
                  probably has a fuse, but I am not positive
                  The only red wire there is the one that goes to the tilt/trim relays

Comment

There is a red wire that goes into the wiring harness that powers the key switch. Find it at the motor, it needs to be tied into 12 +

Comment

Ive just been informed that because i dont have a remote oil tank installed yet, that could be causing the no power issue.
                      He also said to unplug the main oil tank and run premix for now and it should bypass the issue.
                      Gonna try tomorow first thing in the morning....Fingers crossed

Comment

Well i found the red wire i needed and boat is all runnign now.
                        For some reason someone had cut the wire and put a bullet style fitting on it and didnt reach the terminal so i assumed it was for something else.
                        Thats one main thing sorted now to find the plug that goes to the remote oil tank as there isnt any wires not being used.

Thanks again guys

Comment

Working...
                        X