1996 200 saltwater series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 200 saltwater series

I have been having trouble on 3 occasions now of after 30-45 minutes of running, the motor has been cutting out. It will restart but when put in gear it dies. I changed the fuel filter after the first time this happened.

Run a compression test, test for spark at plugs when engine shuts off, may need to remove and clean carbs and fuel pumps.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

check water separator as well, dump it into a glass jar/etc and see what youre feedin your motor

Comment

After replacing all the fuel lines, Racor filters, primer bulb and adding an inline glass filter so we could see what is feeding through, the problem was still there. Then on a test run I noticed a hissing sound and a slight vibration on the fuel line right at the tank. Turns out the problem was an anti-siphon valve on the fuel tank that was restricting the fuel flow, i didn't even know there was one on the tank. I'm not exactly sure what purpose they serve, but I ran the boat for 4.5 hours this weekend without the valve with no problems.

Comment

A simple test with a fuel pressure/vacuum gauge would have told you that a long time ago, I do not know why people do not use that test or a fuel volume test more often.
          The anti-siphon valve is there to keep the fuel tank from filling the bilge with fuel if there is a leak in the line that is lower than the fuel tank level

Comment

Working...
          X