Stopped up Speedometer pilot hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopped up Speedometer pilot hole

I have a 2008 Yamaha 250 outboard that I broke a drill bit in trying to clean out the speedometer pilot hole. Is their anyway to remove this piece of drill bit? Thanks in advance for all replys.

Speedometer

If you can get something small in the hole and get the bit loose, ie tap gently the end of the broken bit with a thin (end flattened) nail. Then trim the engine up, disconnect the speedometer hose where it comes out of the engine. Hook up an air compressor to that end and try to blow the broken bit out (from the top outwards back out the hole). You might gently tap the lower unit adjacent to the hole to loosen the bit and if you have a very strong magnet, place it also near the opening to help.

*The service manager at the local marina I go to told me the guys regularly drill the original hole open one drill bit size larger to help keep from clogging (I haven't done that)...

BTW, for my F150 which used to clog often, I now (besides flushing) cut a "V" in the end of a hose and regularly blow fresh water into the pick up hole. I also put a plastic "T" up in the center console and plumbed in a shrader valve (tire air valve). I have a small 12 volt portable air compressor that I plug into an outlet, hook the end up to the shrader valve and it blows the line free/ clean with ALL THE WATER coming out of the engine a,long with any debris, salt build up.

The first time I did it, I found approx 1/3 cup of salt water just layed up inside the line halfways up the boat. Between flushing with fresh water (the speedometer would show a max of approx 37 MPH) and then blowing it free with air, its dead on and doesn't clog anymore.....
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 03-02-2012, 08:25 AM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Broken drill bit in speedometer pitot hole

I tried everything that you recommended in your reply post above. The drill bit is really jammed into the pitot hole and I cannot get it out no matter what I try. Anyway, I took it to a local repair shop and they could not get it out period. I was told that it would eventually rot out but that could take up to one or two years. The only other choice I have would be to replace the foot or buy a pitot pickup and mount on back of boat transom. I don't like either of those options. I have never heard of a drill bit rotting but I guess it could happen. Thanks for your reply above.

Comment

Working...
      X