1998 90 hp TILT AND TRIM QUESTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 90 hp TILT AND TRIM QUESTION

I have a 1998 90hp Yamaha. How do I bleed or top off my tilt and trim unit. The motor wants to settle down during storage from a level position to ending up in a full down situation
    Last edited by john.kirvan; 02-29-2012, 03:37 PM.

Fill with fluid with motor in full up position, loosen manual release screw on side motor bracket and allow motor to go all the way down and raise back up by hand, refill with with fluid, repeat about 3 times to get all air out.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by john.kirvan View Post
      I have a 1998 90hp Yamaha. How do I bleed or top off my tilt and trim unit. The motor wants to settle down during storage from a level position to ending up in a full down situation

Hate to say it but being low on fluid should not cause the motor to settle.
      More than likely you have some internal valves leaking by.
      Are you sure the manual release is closed off completely?

Low fluid level would mean you have a leak to the outside through seals, and would not let it raise all the way or foam up by mixing air with fluid.
      have you seen a leak or any signs of a leak?

Comment

Originally posted by john.kirvan View Post
        My 1999 90C Yamaha will "settle" some just sitting there but doesn't seem to be a problem during normal boating operations....maybe just a very slow internal leak and not worth worrying about? I use my tilt latch to hold my motor in the "up" position. The tilt/trim is a sealed hydraulic system and if it's working under normal running conditions and no visible leaks, maybe best to leave it alone. The tilt/trim hydraulics aren't very serviceable and expensive for a new unit. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
        X