squealing noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squealing noise

i purchased a yamaha 115 tlr 8/10 on third trip out i started gettig a squealing noise at idle or *****ing speed. this was on and off at first i thought it sounded like a bearing. i took to a yamaha repair shop and was told they had gotten a notice from yamaha about this and it was the timing belt and would go away with time. well it hasnt it has only gotten worst. to the point i have returned to shore a couple times. it does it at idle and when *****ing cant really tell if does it running out on a plane due to engine noise. it also will do this if taken out of gear and reved up. all fluids are good. has any one heard of this or had this trouble if so what do you do to make it go away

Did you purchase this motor 8/10 or was the motor made 8/10?
    Did you take it back to who you bought it from or was it a different dealer?

I take it this is a 4 stroke if it has a timing belt, I have never heard of the belt making a noise like that, but I am not someone that works on new 4 strokes.
    Only squealing noises that I know of came from bushing on drive shaft on some motors

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I purchased the package in 8/10 and the motor has a sticked with 8/10 on it. I took the motor to a local repair shop the mechanics are yamaha certifed and have a great reputation. I took here due to buying the boat several hours away. It is a 4 stroke.

Comment

Maybe you could run the motor on the muffs, remove the cowling and listen for the squealing noise and spray some lubricant in the direction, possibly locate the source of the sound. Also on some motors the drive shaft is actually visible right below the powerhead and above the lower cowling...spray some lubricant/silicone in there with the motor running and it might find it's way down to the driveshaft bushing. If you can get the squealing to stop or change even momentarily, then you'll know where it is!
        Sorta sounds like that driveshaft bushing! Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by surfinsam10 View Post
          Thanks for the reply. I purchased the package in 8/10 and the motor has a sticked with 8/10 on it. I took the motor to a local repair shop the mechanics are yamaha certifed and have a great reputation. I took here due to buying the boat several hours away. It is a 4 stroke.
          Call the ones you bought it from and see what they have to say

Comment

They are having you on cam belt my arse they are dills obvious they did not have a clue......... but i would start with the dry shaft and always remember grease is your friend .

Comment

Working...
            X