No announcement yet.

50TLR top cyl not firing-posibilities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50TLR top cyl not firing-posibilities?

Motor wouldn't crank,found dead cell in battery-replaced. Still wouldn't crank,found 20 amp fuse blown near coils-replaced. Started but running rough, changed plugs found top cylinder plug wet-including after new plug. swapped with middle plug to be sure-same condition on top cyl.Had to adjust idle to keep it operating. This was after motor ran great for a month out of storage, two week inactivity and this was result. Looking for suggestions. THANKS !!

Maybe drain each carb onto clean white rag to check for water or debris in float chamber. Carbs may need removal and cleaning. Is your fuel fresh?

Comment

Check with a spark tester or a inductive timing light to see if you are getting spark on all cylinders.
      A DVA adapter and volt meter will show if it coil is getting proper voltage on each.

If spark and compression are good then look at cleaning carbs

Comment

Thanks, fuel/water separator filter changed and new fuel added-slight improvement at that time. The top plug was still wet as though it wasn't firing,did not have tester with me to check coil operation. Do you know if a common problem would be the coil or the CDI? I don't have wiring diagram to decide why 20 amp fuse was blown. Do you have diagram or info?
        Thanks.

Comment

I have heard of people reversing battery leads when hooking up battery that blew fuse, but not much else. Short in wiring maybe.
          Last edited by 99yam40; 04-17-2017, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            I have heard of people reversing battery leads when hooking up battery that blew fuse, but not much else. Short in wiring maybe.
            Thanks, I was able to see the fuse and starter schematic, but I'm not able to get the other 3 views the"Attached Files" suggests . If you wouldn't mind sending it, I would like to see the Elec diagram for the coils and CDI. The lead reversal could have been possible, getting old is not always good!

Comment

I do not know what other ones you are refering to as I only posted the one with the fuse ( start schematic) as that is all that the fuse feeds

Comment

I see now that the views number has increased-I'm guessing now that it means the times it has been viewed. If you have a little time and inclination, I would appreciate a diagram for the CDI and coil schematic. Thank You Much!

Comment

Not sure what year you TLR is, but must be 06 0r later.
                  my 99 40 may or may not be the same.
                  There is a charge coil and 3 pulsar coils that feed the CDI and then 3 outputs to the coils. You need a special volt meter or a DVA adapter and regular meter to take reading like the service manual says and compare to specs in manual.
                  Do like I said before, compression, spark, and timing. If all of that is good then work on the fuel/carbs

Service manual is worth the money if you plan on working on it yourself.

Comment

Working...
                  X