Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing impeller on a Yamaha 5C 2004

Hi,

I bought a small sailing boat about 4 years ago but have only sailed since relying on oars when the wind dropped. The outboard (Yamaha 5C) which came with the vessel has been stored in my shed for the 4 years. It had had little use when I purchased the boat and was working perfectly. I put it in a dustbin full of water a couple of days ago and it started very easily but it is not pumping any water. I only ran it for a few seconds. I have ordered a new impeller and have started dismantling the leg. The 2 M6 bolts under the cavitation plate came out OK and the bottom part of the leg has become free but will only slide off about one inch. Do I need to undo something else?

Look forward to advice.

Thanks

Mike

We don't have manuals or parts list for that model, some of the 4hp models had a rubber plug in mid section that you had to remove to get to shift shaft coupler.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks,

I googled the subject and now realise I must also disconnect the shift lever. There is a rubber/plastic bung in the side of the leg. I have also requested information from the supplier of the service parts who is sending me a service manual.

Mike

Comment

Still hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction.

I had a look at the outboard today with a view to determining how to disconnect the gear shift. With the outboard clamped to a plank (suspended) and the lower leg bolts removed I note the gear shift lever moves the lower leg up & down. Down when I engage astern & up for ahead. The key I am sure is to disconnect the gear shift lever.

I look forward to advice.

Mike

Comment

Now that you have the gearcase lowered some look between gearcase and upper housing to see if see a clamp joining two shift shafts togather.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
          X