Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2006 Yamaha 150 four stroke compression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Yamaha 150 four stroke compression?

Hi all....I'm looking to purchase a used 2006 Seaswirl with a 2006 Yamaha 150 four stroke. We don't know a lot about engines but we had the shop do a compression test because we were told it's a "must do" when buying a used engine....the results were:

1-160, 2-150, 3-155, 4-150

Does anyone know if those compressions are within a normal range...or if we should be concerned about anything?

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to get an electronic printout from the computer chip in these engines? The shop is saying they aren't able to do that with these engines....I was under the impression that most "newer" engines had that information stored on a chip and it could be printed off (info like hours, rpms, etc)

Any thoughts/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Minimum compression is 128 psi, so you are perfect.

Yes, with a laptop, Yamaha connector & software you can get the info.

Make sure you do a water test. If it runs well don't worry about it, but what are the hours? Biggest issue with the 2006/2007 is the balancer assembly going out.

What Seaswirl are you buying and what is the max HP? You want to be within 80%.
    Stanley Islander 19, 2006 Yamaha F150TLRC. Ottawa, Canada
    16' York River, 1986 Yamaha PRO 50.

Comment

Baileys Boat, thank for the reply...that is good to hear....we'll be sure to do a water test too.
      The boat is a 21' seaswirl striper and it has approx 70 hrs on it. We're trying to get a printout as well if we can.
      Thanks Again for your reply!

Comment

Not sure on the 150 4 stroke but have seen other 4 strokes showing around 200# compression, so my recommendation is to have a leak down test done. It will tell you more than a compression test

Comment

I second the leak down test. I am unaware of any of the newer four strokes that you cannot get a read out from. not sure why a shop would tell you that unless they do not have a program/cable.

Comment

Working...
          X