2003 Yamaha sx200txrb fuses keep blowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Yamaha sx200txrb fuses keep blowing

I have never had any issues with this motor and think it is great. However, yesterday, I was running and noticed my ignition key was stuck in the start position. I guess the spring failed to return the key to the run position after I started it. I'm guessing the starter may have been turning the whole 20 minute trip out. I noticed it was turning when I came off plane to drop anchor and fish. I didnt think anything of it at the time as the engine still ran fine after I manually turned the key slightly left to the run position. When it was time to head home, no power at all. I verified I had power and even wired directly to a fresh battery. No power, gauges wont turn on with key on. I pulled the cover on motor and opened the black fuse panel on starboard side. One of the main 80 amp fuses was blown along with the green 30 amp fuse. Had spares so I replaced both only to have the main blow immediately. Seems like a short somewhere. popped diode in alternator? voltage regulator? Just want to know what it is before I bring it in. The last guy I brought the boat to a few years ago charged me $1,200, and later I found out it was a clogged filter I could have fixed in 15 minutes.Like I said, boat has been great for years and years, this just came out of the blue.

Any help would be great!

Probably need to check starter relay and wiring for shorts, may have also burn up starter.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X