Battery Charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Charging

Hello - My question is not really about a Yamaha Outboard but there appears to be a lot of knowledgeable individuals tuned to this site so I thought I would give it a try. I recently installed a 24-volt ***** motor on my bay boat. I also installed two separate 12-volt deep-cycle batteries for the ***** motor. To get the required power, I ran a battery cable from the positive post on one battery over to the negative post on the other battery. My ***** motor leads are then connected to the vacant positive and negative posts on the batteries. My question deals with charging the batteries. Can I charge both batteries at the same time by simply disconnecting the ***** motor leads and connecting my charger leads to the two vacant posts?? If the answer is yes, what amperage do I need from my charger to give a slow (trickle) charge to the two deep-cycle batteries?? Thanks in advance for any help you might offer.

It's best to disconnect the jumper lead between the two battery’s when charging both at same time. You can get 2 bank battery chargers that will allow you charge both without disconnecting wires from battery's. The general rule for charger amp. is 10% of battery amperage (100 amp battery use 10 amp charger) the automatic chargers work the best.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Wylie,
      If you want to charge both batteries at the same time, then do what boats.net suggests and get yourself a dual bank battery charger - they make them so that you can install them onboard and all you have to do is plug in the extension cord. The outputs "float" so that you don't have to disconnect any thing when you charge.
      I recommend that you install a 50 amp circuit breaker in the 24 volt system for your *****ing motor if you have not already. I put mine in the cable that ties the two 12 volt batteries together.
      If you don't want to invest in the dual-onboard charger, then you can charge each battery individually without disconnecting anything - just make sure the pos lead of the 12 volt charger goes to the pos terminal of the individual battery and the neg lead to the neg terminal of the same battery. When that battery is fully charged, then switch the charger over to the other battery. You need a fully automatic charger with 6 to 10 amp rating. Like boats.net says, if your battery is rated for 100 amp-hour, then 10 amp charge is fine. That's what I use with my 100 amp-hour *****ing motor batteries. I have one of those digital automatic chargers and really like it - has three stage charging - got it at Sam's Club for about fifty bucks .
      Good luck,
      Ken K

Comment

OK and thanks a million for your response. I'll go ahead and purchase one of the dual bank chargers and use it. Have a great day.

Comment

Wylie,
          I just recently saw some on-board dual bank chargers at Academy for pretty reasonable prices.
          I think they were rated at 6 amp - each bank, and that should be fine for your deep cycle batteries.
          Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
          Ken K

Comment

Working...
          X