F115 4 stroke mineral deposits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F115 4 stroke mineral deposits

First post to this forum - While replacing the thermostat, noticed that mineral build-up is fairly heavy in the cylinder head, just under the thermostat. However, the passages under the exhaust cover are nearly spotless. I'm trying to think of a way to circulate some lime-a-way or vinegar, etc., but not sure if there is a good way to do this since it isn't a closed system. Any ideas, or should I just let it go?

Salt Away makes a cleaning solution and comes with applicator that you use on engine flush adapter, it is available at Marine stores.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

If it's running and cooling good, maybe best to just leave it alone. Some deposit removers/acids might cause flakes or chunks to come off and plug up the cooling system, as well as possibly create leaks. I'd leave it alone. Good Luck!

Comment

Tks for the feedback. I think I'll wait and see what happens. The only reason I noticed the buildup in the first place was because of a more serious problem - making oil. Thought I would start off with a good thermostat. One step at a time I guess.

Comment

Working...
        X