Yamaha 225 4 Stroke/ noise in top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 225 4 Stroke/ noise in top

I was running home in a wind storm and it was rough... I lost power to my starboard 225 and then slowed and lost it to the port side.

I realized it seemed fuel related, later learning I had run the main tank dry and most likely sucking up everything on the bottom.

After figuring the fuel loss problem and switching the valve to the Auxilllary tank, I was able to start both motors and run. THE port motor now has a clatter or chatter at 2000 RPM........ these motors are 2003 and have 1200 hours... they ran great and no sounds before the fuel incident.

I am wondering what can cause the sound, did fuel starving the motor underway cause valve damage?

Any ideas of what could be the sound before going to the shop would be appreciated.

Running out of fuel shouldn't damage an injected motor. The 10 micron should have stopped the crap from reaching the motor. Do the usual, check the oil, underhood fuel filter etc. When you were rolling around in rough seas you might have splashed some water onto the timing belt. Try idling the motors with the timing cover off.
    Stanley Islander 19, 2006 Yamaha F150TLRC. Ottawa, Canada
    16' York River, 1986 Yamaha PRO 50.

Comment

225 Noise

Thank you... snow here today, I think or worry that the sound is a valve noise.

Comment

I had similar concerning noise, sounded like valves tapping. Turned out to be that when th fuel/fuel pressure got low the fuel pump made a clicking noise. I got f50's so their a load different than your set up but try pumping the ball or check the fuel pumps first to make sure their getting enough pressure.

Let us know how goes

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Aroha View Post
          I had similar concerning noise, sounded like valves tapping. Turned out to be that when th fuel/fuel pressure got low the fuel pump made a clicking noise. I got f50's so their a load different than your set up but try pumping the ball or check the fuel pumps first to make sure their getting enough pressure.

Let us know how goes
          Yes, let us know what you find,

Comment

Motor still has some Whine

OK, I checked the oil and it was fine.
            I did change both water / fuel seperators and they were full of water.

I fear that I sucked up water into the port motor at near 4000 RPM

I pumped up the ball and the fuel pump has quited some.. I am noticing more exhuast from the port than the starbord motor and It seems like steam.. No colors of blue or oil..

At 2000 to 2300 there is a whine in the motor but at idling now sounds .. sounds good up to 2000................
            I need to go 16 Nm to the shop.. should I use the port motor or putt over there?

Thank u in advance ... I hope it is injector noise or fuel pump/ TM

Comment

Probaly shouldn't run it on that engine.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Whine remains

Can the injectors or the fuel pump make the whine or top end noise...??
                It seems like the fuel pump cannot keep up at the higher RPM and maybe the water in the fuel caused a tear in the pump bladder?

Or the injectors are clogged ?

I will take the boat out this weekend weather permitting here in the NW. I want to run the motor a bit to see if it improves but will not go over 25oo rpm if the whine remains. \ What do you think?

Comment

If both motors are run off of the same tank and both filter/water separators were full of water, I am sure you got water into both motors. Maybe one more than the other, but all of the fuel systems into the motors need to be drained, flushed, serviced/cleaned. this would include any filters and screens inside injectors and where ever else they maybe located. Running motors to see if they get better is a good way to do more damage than good

Comment

How did you make out?

Comment

A product that works very well at "removing" water I found is called K100. It keeps the water in suspension and allows it to burn.

Of course you need to get out as much water as possible before using it.

I was getting a little bit of moisture collecting at the fuel pump (inside where the pump resides, has a drain on the starboard side). Since using the product, I can drain and the moisture is not visable (doesn't go away, just puts it in suspension so it'll burn).

Not cheap but much easier/cheaper than removing a built in 50 gallon tank that's been in the boat since 1997.

K100: K100 Fuel Treatment : Fuel Additive, Fuel Saver
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

How did water get in the tank in the first place?
                        1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
                        1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

225 Noise on top:

I thought I would respond following getting the boat back from
                          Island Marine Center: Yamaha Certified Mechanics

The noise was caused by the low pressure to the fuel pump.. and also some injector noise. They did not find any other problem with the motors.

Following service: the motors are once again quiet and smooth/ ready to fish!

So if by chance you run your tank dry.... be sure to prime the system with the ball and get fuel pump pressure up before you take off.
                          Purging the system and some injector cleaner did the trick.. the motors are fine. 1320 hours.

thank you all for your help..... over and out : Macsout

Comment

Thanks for the update.

Good to hear the problem is solved.

Comment

Working...
                            X