2005 yamaha 115 4 stroke manual trim release wont open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 yamaha 115 4 stroke manual trim release wont open

hi ,i have tried to unscrew the manual release valve.i used wd-40,pb blaster,and very large screw drivers,only to distort the metal at the screwdriver slot to the point of no use. any suggestions out there?

Might try a hammer impact tool.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

if an impact screwdriver does not work,what is the next step?

Comment

The proper torque to seat the valve is only 2.2 ft/lbs. The assembly is tightened against o rings. As advised get a good quality impact driver with the correct bit and have at it. Might as well order a new valve assembly before you start.

Alternative is to pull the tilt and tim for bench work.
        Stanley Islander 19, 2006 Yamaha F150TLRC. Ottawa, Canada
        16' York River, 1986 Yamaha PRO 50.

Comment

thanks for the replies ,impact screwdriver,and a new valve.

Comment

I'm pretty darn sure that the threads on that screw are left-handed, so you turn it to the right to loosen/unscrew it...maybe you're turning it the wrong way?

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
              I'm pretty darn sure that the threads on that screw are left-handed, so you turn it to the right to loosen/unscrew it...maybe you're turning it the wrong way?
              Yikes! Robert, you scared me for a moment. I had to double check the on line operators manual. Says counter clockwise to loosen.

But I wonder why the OP needs to get it loose? The valve is not something you need to use that often.
              Stanley Islander 19, 2006 Yamaha F150TLRC. Ottawa, Canada
              16' York River, 1986 Yamaha PRO 50.

Comment

I've not had any problems with the tilt/trim system, so never had a reason to mess with that screw. The tilt/trim system is a closed/sealed hydraulic system and the last thing I'd want to do is disturb or contaminate that fluid/system, so "let a sleeping dog lie" is my thoughts on it! I also understand that the hydraulic parts of these systems are not easily repaired and entire tilt/trim replacement can be required$$$$

Comment

hi,the reason i attempted to loosen the trim valve was to try to lower the engine during the winter months ,when the boat was in a garage.i wanted to make some room by lowering the engine. there were no batteries in my boat. now that the valve screw slot looks like swiss cheese, i want to loosen it in order to replace it. also, there is an embossed arrow on the engine showing the proper direction to turn in order to open the valve.

Comment

Which way does that arrow say to turn the screw to loosen it?

Comment

hi,the arrow is showing counterclock wise.

Comment

Working...
                      X