Thermostats - usefull tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostats - usefull tip

My thermostats were both staying open - engine was always cold on both banks of my v-4. I took one out to test last week, there was a lot of salt deposits on it so I cleaned it tested it in hot water and replaced it. That bank now runs at the correct temp. i will now do the other one. It seeems to be worth cleaning out the thermoastats at he smae time you clean out the relief valve.

Gary,
    Thanks for the tip - those deposits can also cause the thermostats to not open fully, and thereby cause overheating problems.
    Do you have a temp gauge installed? Sensor on port or starboard side?
    Ken K [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Ken,

Good point - if the deposits can stop them closing it could also prevent them oening fully.
      I dont have a temp guage fitted to the boats instrument panel. I used a hand held meter and probe to check the head temps when running it up on the flush muffs.

Both heads were about 10degC. I cleaned one stat out and that head is now 45-50deg C, the other still01deg C. The thermostats are stamped 50degC. I will clean the other stat tomorrow and check the temps again.

You can get a good idea of the temps by feeling them with your hands. 50deg C is hot almost uncomportable but not hot enough to really hurt. But be careful if you have an overheating problem you could get BURNED!

I was expecting to have to buy new stats but looks like I will get away with just new gaskets and a bit of cleaning.

Comment

Working...
      X