1999 Yamaha S225TXRX OX66 Won't Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Yamaha S225TXRX OX66 Won't Start

I purchased a used replacement powerhead for a 1999 S225 TXRX OX66.

There were wires that had been cut on the harness so I replaced the harness.

After installing, I have not been able to get it to start.

I tested with a screwdriver for spark and had some spark jump on the port but none on the starboard bank. I thought I had a few small puffs of smoke on several attempts with throttle down but if that happened it was all.

I have 12v power through the starter and all the way through to the wire out from what I believe is the starter relay assembly at the top of the box under the plastic cover.

I picked up a few spark testers that should light up and have been unable to get any light on cranking for the top plugs on either bank. Maybe one puff of smoke at one point on attempt two but could be wishful thinking.

I don't have the stator test adapter so I pulled the flywheel and replaced everything under the flywheel - stator, etc. I also replaced the crank position sender.

No good.

I replaced the CDI and confirmed the white wire (pin 4 or 5 of top bank of wires, depending which side you count from) out of the bottom changes state from key swith on to off.

Still nothing.

All replacement parts should be good from previous use.

I picked up a winky blinky and will try plugging that in in the AM, check all of the grounds again and move forward.

Any help on a progressive troubleshooting methodology would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

If you can get a peak reading voltmeter check CDI output to coils.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks. Got the parts for the meter today.

Winky blinky looks like a long light on key on then repeated three flashes while cranking.

Comment

Working...
      X